Friday, September 13, 2013

"I am here because of my high school teachers" - The País.com (Spain)

Maria Abad is “the girl of the moment” at the National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO). So call some colleagues when walking through the halls way to the dining room. And no wonder. This Madrid, born in a hospital in La Paz – “because Alcorcón had no hospital in the eighties” – 33 years ago, a few meters from where he now works, has gotten simple reprogram adult cells into embryonic stem cells in a living being. After Nature has published the results, his phone has not stopped ringing (during lunch vibrates several times) and admits to having dozens of unread messages. “I’m overwhelmed. I’m used to enjoy what I do, but not having transcendence “he says.

Abad

splashed the story of his career thanks. “I’ve been very lucky with my mentors,” he repeats. Chronologically, first reminds his school teachers, Lola and Antonio. “Name them”, asks. “I think I’m here because of them,” he explains. His teachers awakened his sense of wonder, curiosity. “I left knowing that I wanted to study biology,” he says. He ended up working with Manuel Serrano, director of the Molecular Oncology Program at the CNIO, thanks to an email. “In December 2008 I read my thesis, but my partner who is also a scientist, not yet. So I decided to stay in Spain and wrote to Manolo. And well done here, “he smiles. The four years between the time of its discovery have been plagued by “failures”. “It was hard to convince us that this was worth it, but one day we saw a little light.” He speaks in the plural because insists that this success is not hers alone. He added two mo re names to his list of endorsements: “Lluc Monastery and Cristina Pantoja”. Check that the names of their partners are well written in the notebook. “I’m taking the visibility but they have helped me a lot. This is a team effort. “

• Cream of zucchini.

• Salmorejo.

• Two grilled flounder.

• Two yogurts.

• Water

.

• Total (2 menus): 10.50 euros.

Abad hopes his finding, which suggests the future possibility of self-regeneration of injured tissues, serve as a warning about the importance of investment in science. “Spain has a problem attracting talent, here or outside,” he says. For now, the biologist is already planning to go abroad. “Because I want to, I am forced” qualifies. A few months before his contract ends next May, dreams of working in Boston or New York. “Let us go on to form outside is not a drama, the penalty is that scientists can get back to doing science here,” he adds.

Abad is in Spain where you imagine your distant future. Near his family. When he speaks of them was truncated voice and eyes become damp. “They strive to support me. Always been interested in what I do and at dinner parties ask me to explain it. And read articles to learn “. It is not easy to understand how it is possible to generate embryonic stem cells into mice. Nor that to get there “no schedules or holidays or weekends.” “So we are matching against other scientists. Another had not endured “refers to her boyfriend. But the hours in the lab, watching their “old little mice” have paid off. In this case, a distant future in which damaged organs could regenerate. And being “the girl Nature “.

No comments:

Post a Comment